Facts in the Eye of the Beholder

Writer's Note: As you can see by the post dates, I took most of 2018 off. I focused more on my fiction writing and less on commenting about the current state of our world. However, I felt it was necessary to finally get some of these thoughts/comments/opinions out there for all to see. Here's one from last year.

Amazing what people see when they don't take the time to read.

August 17, 2018 - I typically don't post anything political or controversial (sort of the same thing nowadays) on my Facebook timeline.

I do comment on others' political posts and, in the past, have flamed online adversaries with all the gusto of a Viking pillager.

But I've always left my FB feed non-political because I have many friends and family members who fill the spectrum from ultra-right to lefty left. Frankly, I have enough headaches without inflaming passions and angering friends - many of whom are good people in spite of their political views.

In mid-August, however, I had had enough. I am no fan of the DrunkenFuhrer, and most people who know me know that I can't stand to hear him talk. The man's idiocy and pettiness are simply absurd. The latest perceived slight - former intelligence leaders who are critical of the 45th President.

Of course, he has to hit back. And hit back hard. Pettiness at its worst.

So, I posted my opinion on FB. I left it a little vague but made sure my words resonated with my disappointment (disgust?) with the current president. I was surprised by (a) how few people responded or replied to my post and (b) how some of the respondents reacted. I'm not sure if people actually read anything any longer than one sentence. I had people on both ends of that political spectrum "Like" my post. Weird. Only one person responded with a comment, which I have since deleted. His comment was as childish and stupid as...well, a response from the current occupant of the White House.

I looked back at the post and realized that it could be read differently depending upon your viewpoint. But I thought I made clear with my quote from Abraham Lincoln that I abhor the senseless trampling of First Amendment freedoms by the current regime.

I guess, however, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Comments