Independence Day?

Well, once again it's Independence Day.  The day we celebrate as "America's birthday."  A day full of hyperbole and harangues about our great nation.  I don't have a problem with patriotism or prideful rhetoric.  It's simply that this particular holiday - like many others that I continue to endure - reminds me of how sad it is to be so independent in such a social culture.

Free to be me?
It is quite a contradiction that we espouse the virtues of independence in our children, even encouraging them from a young age to "act independent, or self-reliant," yet, at the same time, we worry that a child who is alone too often, or is a "loner," is somehow not normal or not the standard for a healthy young person.  Yet most of us have had to deal with feeling left out or not part of the crowd.  What is most troubling, however,  is that our society rewards behaviors that are interdependent when we say we value that "independent spirit" that made our forefathers patriotic deities.

Modern examples of this interdependent (some might say codependent) lifestyle include cellphone use and social networking.  How many times a day do you see people talking on their cell phones?  Do you ever wonder, as I do, "Who or what are you talking about?"  Is it really that important or urgent?  And why do I have to be subjected to your conversations?  I have worked with people who the second they walk out of the office they immediately make a cell call.  It's almost as if they are addicted to their cell phones.  (Of course I don't even want to get started on the idiots who constantly talk - and text! - while driving.)


The social networking phenomenon is the obvious example of social codependency run amok.  I have to admit that I recently joined the Twitter universe in order to understand what the hubbub was all about.  (Like my archaic terminology?)  I can now see why so many people become addicted to being on-line and part of an "Internet family."  Like a regular family (if there is such a thing anymore), folks on the Internet portray all the typical family characters: angry parent, defiant child, abusive lover, loony grandparent, odd cousins, and that uncle who was a lot of fun to be around, but he really was a slime ball.  I am amazed at how much self-indulgent junk is now on the Internet (my own blog included).  And equally amazed at how much credence is paid to otherwise stupid, personal information.  Oh, well.

Back to my original intent...the key reason that a long holiday weekend like the Fourth bothers me so much is that it - unintentionally - reinforces the aloneness that I have in my life right now.  We just got back from vacation** and did not have any plans.  We weren't invited anywhere (as had happened in the past), and it was just a long, lonely afternoon.  I ended up playing Risk with my son, who solidly creamed me and dominated the world in less than one (1) hour.  We finally did go see some fireworks, but the whole day felt very empty.  And, unfortunately, I get this way about these types of holidays - - everyone is supposed to be grilling and partying and having a good time (in a somewhat large group).  I realize that some of this perception is reinforced by advertisers, but it hurts just the same.  Such is the life of an independent soul.

Note: Later this month, I will revisit the topics of independence and loneliness.

###

Blog Note: Be on the lookout for a new series of reflections about this past school year.

** We have a new travel blog Travel Blog to document our recent, and past, family trips.  Come see us!

Comments