Thanks for Nothing

As I gaze out at the ice and snow that envelop my neighborhood, I think back to my daughter's birth almost 16 years ago. There was a tremendous ice storm that shutdown almost the entire city for several days. (Some folks, like my wife and I, were without electricity for about a week. Some even longer.) My wife was eight months pregnant, and, we believe, the ice storm hastened my daughter's birth by about 3 weeks. Her arrival, however, had its complications. Without going into all the details (I'll save that for another post), we relied heavily on the help of friends, neighbors, and out-of-town relatives to get through that traumatic time. I believed then, as I do now, that people will rise to the occasion when asked to help - regardless of their own current circumstances.

With the recent outpouring of support and help for the people of Haiti, I again see that humanity can and will do its best in times of need. (Pat Robertson and Rush Limbaugh notwithstanding.) What troubles me, however, is the observation - also made by others - that it takes a crisis, whether small or large, to bring people together to help. And that these efforts are - and rightly so - worthy of recognition by those being helped. It's not that people who help others do it because they want to be rewarded. They do it simply because it is the right thing to do.

For me, that's the "rub" of every day existence. Many of us are constantly helping others, either intentionally or circumstantially, to the extent that it has become almost automatic for people expect such aid. We help out because it is the right thing to do. Yet, it seems like many people don't think it's important to show any gratitude. Even a simple "thank you" would suffice in most instances. It just doesn't happen as often as it should.

A Winter "I Wonder?" Land 
After my daughter's problems were fixed and our lives got back to normal, it seemed like we spent weeks, probably months, thanking everyone around us (including the Almighty) for their help and support. It wasn't because of societal dictates or decorum. It was simple because it was the right thing to do. I didn't expect or want anything in return. I just wanted others to know how much we appreciated their help. I certainly hope they know how thankful we were then and still are now.

It may seem like such a silly thing to write about, but I truly believe our society needs to say "thank you" more often and be sincere about doing so. It's those little things (and some big things) we all do every day that need at least a momentary acknowledgement of gratitude. Who knows? Maybe a simple "thanks" will help restore civility to our growing lack of manners.

Comments